Monday, December 2, 2013

The Master Bedroom

When we moved in, we bought a mattress for our spare bedroom (something we didn't previously have), but never got around to buying the other stuff that makes a bedroom functional. We spent the summer sleeping in the green room because the air conditioner worked better than the one in the master bedroom. After summer ended, we moved back to our proper bedroom, taking the bedding, bedside tables and lamps with us. We plan to have a few houseguests over the holidays (and probably in the future), so we really need a functional guest room. And since the green room was looking great with new curtains that complimented the bedding, it makes more sense to fix up the master bedroom and allow those things to go back to the green room where they belong.

I painted the walls light blue when we first moved in because I couldn't handle white walls- but I think I was too hasty in picking the color. I was going for a smoky, darker blue, but I ended up with a baby blue nursery thing color. Since I don't like the color and there's basically no furniture, bedding, or wall art, this room just sucks.

As winter sets in, all I want to do is snuggle and snooze, so it seems important to have a nice bedroom.  It is the room we spend the most time in, even though we're generally not conscious. [this is probably a completely ridiculous argument, but the bottom line is that I want a nicer bedroom].

Current master bedroom in all its lameness. 


The new plan is serene, calm, and relaxing. The walls will be a more effective smoky color, and everything else will be mostly neutral, with lots of texture and pattern. This is what I'm thinking:

  1. A smoky blue color
  2. A textured quilt
  3. Neutral bedding with an interesting pattern
  4. A big, dark wood headboard, preferably something salvaged not store-bought. 
  5. A snuggly chair
  6. Shiny, metallic lamps
  7. A rug that's mostly neutral with a lot of pattern

So- I found the duvet cover on sale at Pottery Barn and grabbed it with a new duvet.

Then, I went to a local market with my brother and found these cool old pieces of ceiling tin. We got four, all in the same charcoal grey color with various textures. They are all reclaimed from old houses and shops, mostly in the Philadelphia area.

 
snazzy tin wall art over the bed.  

Minor progress, but we're on our way. Feeling a little more snuggly already.

No comments:

Post a Comment