Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Kid's Room

We are working on the office, as planned, but we hit a bit of a snag. I'm getting a little nervous that we won't have time to finish the office before starting on the kid's room and be done in time- so we're going to switch gears and get started now.  Hopefully we can still finish both rooms by the big deadline. More on the office snag coming soon.
the current office

So, the kid's room. You already know that we are planning to use our current office as the kid's room. Thankfully, there isn't much in the way of renovating to do in here, so this should mostly just be a decorating project. I want to refinish the floors and touch up some paint, but otherwise things are pretty much ready to go. A couple of goals for the room:
  • Spend money on the things that will last, be thrifty on the temporary stuff.  I'm generally blown away with how much money we're going to have to spend for supplies/toys for the kid that will be useless in a few months. So, as much as possible, we want to avoid wasting money on the temporary stuff and try to invest wisely in the things that will hang around. I'm thinking that means an adjustable crib that turns into a bed, a nice dresser that can be used as a changing table, a decent rug, but cheap wall art and fabric.
  • Create a gender-neutral spot that works for Next Kid. Assuming there is a Next Kid, it could be a girl. So the things we invest in need to work for girl too. I'm picturing lots of gray and white and geometric designs. I'm not big on gender stereotypes, so we want to avoid sports themes and that sort of thing- but maybe some blue stuff that's cheap and can be replaced is ok.
  • Add lots of visual interest. I love the look of layered fabrics and a variety of textures, so I'm thinking I'm going to be spending some time with my sewing machine to make pillows, quilts, bedding, curtains, etc. This wouldn't be a blog if I didn't make some over-the-top crafty thing and it wouldn't be a kid's room if it weren't whimsical, so I'm picturing a hanging paper thing over the chair, maybe with fairy lights and twirly, dangly stuff. Also plan to turn to etsy for some help on this.
Here's my design plan:



  1. Variety of white, grey and blue fabrics
  2. Cool hanging mobile over the crib
  3. Basic, wooden convertible crib
  4. Papery hanging structure thing
  5. Geometric, neutral rug
  6. Fun wall art
  7. A poof for the feet
  8. comfy glider 
So, we're ready to get started pulling this all together. My hope is to really focus on this room intensely for 2-3 weeks, and then turn back to the new office. More soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment