Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Main Bath - Radiator and Lights

After the epic battle stripping the door, we didn't have capacity for any major other projects for this room. Instead, I just had a few little tweaks to make the room a little more functional and attractive.

The Radiator
First, the radiator was driving me crazy. There has always been this cage box thing covering it up, which is so large that it blocks my towel rack. So my towel is either bunched up so it never dries, or hanging over the stairs or somewhere else inappropriate. Plus the cage thing is ugly. So we took it off, I cleaned up the radiator, dusting off a hundred years of dust bunnies, and then gave it a light coat of radiator spray paint. The radiator is quite ornate, and much smaller than the cage was, so now my towel can actually fit on the rack - and should be nicely toasty!

radiator cage - cutting off my towel rack

cage removed, radiator cleaned up but dingy

getting sprayed

all done- my towel fits now!

Little Shelf
As soon as the radiator cage came off, it was clear we had created a new problem. Despite its ugliness and towel-blocking issues, it had been a helpful place to store things. So helpful, in fact, that it was always covered in stuff. So - I needed a replacement that was small enough not to block the towel rack, but just large enough to store one or two things. For simplicity sake, I just cut a spare board down to the length of the radiator, stained it, and placed it on top. I could've made something more complex, but hey.

little shelf for holding just a bit of stuff

Lights
Not a functional issue really, but we always hated the sconces in this room, which are super deco and also hum loudly. So - I just ordered 2 new ones in a basic style and finish that matches the rest of the house. Once we had a sunny weekend day without guys in the house, we finally switched them out. 

old lights - huge and hideous
 
new lights! 

New Art
Just a small thing, but I ordered a print from etsy and stuck it in one of our existing frames. Something to add a little color and make this look more like a kids' bathroom. (got it here). 
new wall art - both bathy and kidish

new art up over the new shelf

remember this? so much better now!

And now I'm calling it done. I had bigger ideas for this room - tearing out the closet, or replacing the sink - but for now - this is good enough. We need to switch over to another project. More on that soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment