Friday, August 29, 2014

Pottery Classes & Creative Outlets

As a kid, I played a variety of musical instruments, took a couple types of dance classes, and went to theater and art camp over the summers. (I'm not claiming I was actually good at any of these things- just that I spent time doing them in my misspent youth). Now, like many people I know, I spend 40+ hours per week in my office, staring at my computer. Work products are made out of excel or word, and are always in black and white. While I love my job, it does leave me a little desperate for a creative outlet.

I've been getting my fix lately off of renovations, but we can't afford to redo a bathroom every month. I dabbled in paper projects, but got some harsh criticism, so I'm looking for something better.

new art in the fireplace room made out of tissue paper and a glue stick
that does not look like it was made by a very young child

a new mobile in the living room
that is absolutely appropriate for adult spaces

One of the art camps that I went to as a kid taught pottery. I wasn't very good at centering the clay, but made a few ok things and got really messy in the process. In college, I found a pottery studio where I could dabble and loved it too. A while ago I found a pottery studio in the area that I have been meaning to check out, and I finally just signed up for classes.

Pros:
  • Gives me the creative outlet I've been wanting, and an opportunity to work with my hands.
  • Christmas gifts for everyone!
  • I've already paid for 10 classes, so I have strong incentive to actually go.
  • I want something to go on our fireplace mantel and I think this is going to be it.
  • It's kind of on the way home from work, so it should be easy enough to get to.
  • I get to make a huge mess.
Cons:
  • I have to clean up the huge mess I make.
  • It's a little pricey, but what isn't in this town?
  • I have to leave work a little early to get there, just hoping no one cares/notices.

My First Class
After finally signing up, I just had my first class. It went great! It took a little while for things to come back to me, but after about 2 hours I had made 3 small pots.

I apparently needed more very small bowls.

Next Steps
So I have 9 more classes to go to, in which time I hope to successfully master this whole thing and move on to bigger stuff. After that, we'll see. But generally, I think keeping a creative outlet is important and something I will always plan to do from here on.

No comments:

Post a Comment