Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Painting the wall above the stairs

We are still waiting on the contractors to finish up some things in the basement bathroom before we can get to work down there. So this weekend, we took a break from the renovation and got another important project taken care of. You may remember that as soon as we moved in, I got to work repainting every room in the house. The downstairs was all painted a lovely pink color that just had to go, so I got to work replacing it with a subtle light grey. I painted every room, but got stuck on the wall over the stairs, which was too tall for my little ladder to reach, even with an extender handle for the roller.

The contractors left a huge two-story ladder in the back yard, presumably for the windows and siding that will go up on the second floor. We decided to borrow it briefly to finish up the painting. The hardest part was maneuvering the massive ladder, which is very heavy and very long, even when not extended. Once in place, it was pretty easy to just climb right up and finish the painting, with the help of a paint brush I duct-taped to a paint stir for extra length. It was miserably hot at the top of the ladder, due to that whole heat-rising thing. I felt pretty proud of myself climbing up to the top, while holding a paint tray and the long roller, and then leaning and bending to hit all the pink spots, while periodically checking the score of the world cup final.

atop my ladder with my extendy paintbrush and tray 
 
Once I finished and cleaned everything up- I noticed that the newly-painted parts are slightly darker than the rest of the wall. I'm hoping that it just needs more time to dry or fade or something, because I'm definitely not repainting everything or getting back on that ladder. Still- it looks better than it used to.

Corner to the left
 

Corner to the right

 
 
a view down the stairs
 
 
Total time: 1.5 years
Active time: 2 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment