Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Houseplants

I like houseplants- they are a nice way to make a room feel more lively and filter the air. We didn't have space for them at the old condo, so we didn't bring any into the house with us. For our wedding, we had three orchids as decorations that have been sitting sadly in the greenroom. Because they're wedding-related, I feel extra pressure to keep them alive. 

unhappy orchids.

check out the overflowing roots trying to break free

and sad yellow leaves. 

So I finally decided to help them out. I ordered orchid soil from amazon, and it just arrived.  I did some googling to figure out how to replant, and it seemed like an easy Saturday afternoon kind of project.

Step 1.  Remove them from their pots and potting stuff. 
This was a little tricky to do gently without ripping off roots, but mostly they just shake free. 

Step 2.  Soak.
This step helps to soften up the roots so that they will bend more easily. I left them all in warm water for an hour or two. 

orchid bath in a spare trashcan full of warm water

Step 3. Cut off dead roots.
Healthy roots are white or green and solid, while dead roots are brown and flimsy.  Sadly, most of the roots were dead. I carefully cut them loose with a pair of scissors.

Step 4. Gently put in container and fill with new soil. 
I carefully bent the remaining roots into the containers, then placed the orchid soil around them. The ones that were underwater were definitely more pliable than ones that were above the water.

happier plant gets some new soil. 

Step 5. Hope for the best.
The newly potted orchids all seem much happier. I'm just hoping this will be enough to turn them around.

happier orchids.

So, while we're on the topic, I decided to add some new plants to the mix. My goal is to have one in every room. I just have to be careful because both cats are big fans of climbing up, chewing on, and peeing in plants- so I can only use plants that are up off the floor. Light is also tricky since we have several rooms that get hardly any light and several that get way too much. Apparently NASA did a study on the best indoor plants for air quality, and these guys were all on it:

new ivy in the green room

 
a peace lily for the dining room

and our new golden pothos moves to the living room.

A good start- beginning to feel a bit more like spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment