Monday, October 10, 2016

Finishing Up the Halfbath and Mudroom

Once the trim was finally done, we got to add a couple small things to make the rooms feel pretty close to finished.

1. Towel Ring and TP holder
When we ordered the sink faucet, I just grabbed the TP holder and towel ring to match. They finally went up with a nice new turkish fouta towel.

new towel ring with fancy towel

with matching thing

2. Shelves
I've noticed recently that I seem to put up shelves often- kinda my go-to thing for making a space more organized. So, not surprisingly when I realized that there was no place to store extra TP rolls, I ended up getting a new board, staining it, and hanging it with some drywall anchors. I pilfered some random stuff from around the house to make it look a little more blogy.

new shelves

3. Secret Door
One more important issue that needed to be addressed was the access panel to the pipes. It needed to be accessible, but otherwise basically invisible most of the time. So we cut an extra wall panel, used some magnets and a little little claspy thing to hold it in place.

now you see them...

now you don't! 

4. Bench
In the mudroom, since it is a mud-room, I wanted a place to stop and take off shoes and store a pair or two - so I pulled together some scrap wood and built a little bench. Then I used some leftover cushion and padding to upholster it.

new little bench

I know. you're shocked that I posted a picture of my little cat.

5. Wall Art
In the name of functionality and organization, I ordered a fun new guy to hold keys by the back door. Then I grabbed an old poster that was framed and a good size and just hanging out. It's not the long term artwork, but it works for now and makes the room look a little more personal. 

our new cast iron octopus

poster gets hung

So - these rooms are like 97% done now. There are a couple little things we need to finish up here and there - but for now, we're shifting gears to finish up the kitchen and sleeping porch.

a functional and glamorous mudroom

half bath is so much better than the toilet sitting on  plywood that it used to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment